CASE 1: Relief worker killed a day before distributing relief to typhoon victims

On 6 August 2014, relief worker Gildegardo Hernandez, was shot dead along Candelaria-San Juan Diversion Road in Candelaria, Quezon province. Hernandez was waiting for a ride when an unknown man on a motorcycle got off, and shot him. The gunman’s companion, who served as his backup, was on another motorcycle. Hernandez fell on the ground. The gunmen fired more shots, hitting Hernandez on the head, chest, and face to make sure he would not survive.

Hernandez was working for the Relief Delivery Operation (RDO) for the survivors of typhoon Glenda. The RDO was scheduled on the following day, August 7, by the Southern Tagalog People Corps (STPC) and Kalipunan ng Samahang Magbubukid ng Timog Katagalugan (KASAMA-TK) in cooperation with the Pamatid- CQ, a local peasant organization led by Hernandez.

CASE 2: Indigenous leader killed for protesting against oil palm plantation

On August 14, Marcel Lambon, a council member of a Lumad organization in Impasug-ong, Bukidnon, in Mindanao, was shot and killed by a member of the Special Civilian Armed Auxiliary (SCAA) under the Army’s 8th Infantry Battalion. Lambon was an active campaigner against the expansion of an oil palm plantation in their town.

Prior to her death, the military has since been frequently “visiting” her home and place of employment, and has been summoned for questioning.

CASE 3: Humanitarian worker killed while distributing farm tools to poor farmers

On 23 August 2014, Jefferson A. Custodio, 25, a member of the Municipal Farmers Association in Carigara (MUFAC) was shot dead at Barangay village in Punong, Carigara, Leyte, by two men riding a motorcycle.

Custodio was in the village distributing farm tools to farmers in the upland village of Carigara. Two men wore ski masks and were riding a motorcycle without a plate number. They shot him in the arm and chest, killing him instantly.

The work of Custodio’s organisation, the MUFAC, has been on the rehabilitation of communities affected by typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan by providing the farmers with shelter materials, seeds and seedlings, and farm tools.

On 2 July, prior to his death, soldiers from the 78th Infantry Battalion and police from the Regional Mobile Group arrived in Capoocan, Leyte, hunting for the members of the MUFAC. The soldiers stationed themselves in the village hall, in the outposts of village watchmen, and in the chapel. They also held meetings with village residents and told them they were prohibited from joining street protests.

CASE 4: Political activist killed in front of his wife, daughter

On 26 August 2014, Librado Adoptante Sr., coordinator for Bayan Muna, in Baao, Camarines Sur, was gunned down by men in ski masks riding a motorcycle. Adoptante was on his way home from his check-up at the hospital, with him was his wife, Gemma and his 12-year-old daughter, Sally.

The gunman stopped Librado on his way home and shot him. Librado fell on the ground and the gunman fired two more shots into his head. Librado died on the spot due to gunshot wounds on his chest and on the head. The police arrived half an hour later with members of village council. They were heard to have said: ‘Ah si Ka MAYON! (Ah, this is Ka Mayon)’ implying they are familiar with the identity of the victim.

Since 2006, members of the 42nd Infantry Battalion-Philippine Army and the Civilian Auxiliary Force Georgraphical Unit (CAFGU) had previously been to the Adoptantes’ home of the looking for Librado. The military wanted Adoptante to “clear his name” as they suspected him as a member of the New People’s Army, a rebel group.